In the picturesque Old Town of Edinburgh, in the city centre, within easy walking distance of the Castle and other major tourist attractions, cinemas, theatres, concert halls, art galleries and restaurants, and adjacent to the lively and fashionable Grassmarket area. Ideally located for the Edinburgh Festival, Fringe and Hogmanay. Also convenient for the University of Edinburgh and the National Library of Scotland.
Arts Aware Award for catering especially for tourists with an interest in the arts and culture.
A first floor apartment in one of Edinburgh’s historic buildings, formerly an 18th century coaching inn patronised by the city’s candlemakers, sensitively restored by a conservation trust. The front door and staircase give access only to this and to a second floor privately owned flat.
Built into a slope, the property faces on to Candlemaker Row which runs down to the Grassmarket. The little sash window set deeply into the thick stone wall at the rear looks directly out at ground level on to the ancient Greyfriars Church and kirkyard, scene of many dramatic events in Scotland’s history. Opposite the window is the gravestone where Greyfriars Bobby, famous for canine fidelity, waited 14 years for his master to return.
All rooms are on the first floor and consist of a small hallway, a large sitting/dining room with open plan kitchen, a double bedroom and a bathroom with bath, shower, washbasin and w.c.. In the sitting/dining room there is a full sized double sofa bed. The furniture is a tasteful mixture of modern and antique.
The rooms retain great character, are light, sunny and well-proportioned, decorated in keeping with the traditional architecture. The original stone fire surround has been retained in the sitting room, as have the shutters on the kitchen window. The bedroom has secondary glazing and lightproof curtains. The kitchen, whichis modern and fully-equipped, includes a washer-drier and dishwasher.
* All gas and electricity are included in the rental. GCH throughout
* Linen and towels are provided.
* Complimentary tea, coffee and milk are provided for your arrival.
* Ironing facilities and a hair dryer are provided.
* Street parking is available but is expensive.
* The airport drop off point and main railway ( Waverley station ) are 15 minutes walk.
Please note that prior to arrival a refundable 200 pounds key/security deposit must be provided.
* No smoking is allowed within the apartment.
* Well behaved pets by prior arrangement.
A "meet and greet" service is operated , whereby you will be met at a property at a pre-arranged time to give access. Full instructions of this procedure are sent out in the formal confirmation. Entry is from 14:00 onwards but if nobody has booked to depart on your day of arrival it will probably be very suitable for us to give you entry as early as possible. Departure is by 10am (a guaranteed late departure up to 20:00 can be obtained for 50% of that daily rate. Please contact us if you want to utilise this facility and a price will be calculated).
Please note that arrivals after 19:00 will incur a range of late arrival fee.
**LATE ARRIVAL: fees, 19:00 - 22:30 - 15 pounds, 22:31 - 00:00 - 30 pounds and 00:01 - 02:00 - 50 pounds. The latest access can be given is 02:00, otherwise it is given at 08:00 the next day. ESC accept no liability for any costs involved in alternative accommodation for this 6 hour period.
A deposit of 25% is payable on booking and the outstanding balance of the rental price must be received 2 months prior to your arrival date. For bookings made less than eight weeks before your arrival date the whole rental price falls payable at the time of booking. Please note that a separate 200 pounds refundable key/security deposit must be provided prior to arrival. This is rescinded 2 days after departure.
If you have any queries or require further information regarding this property please do not hesitate to contact us.
There are three options to get from Edinburgh airport to the city centre, all take approx 30-35 minutes. The main rail station Waverley is approx 700 metres from the apt.
1. Edinburgh trams, approx every 8-10 mins (Sunday 12-15 mins), right outside terminal, the nearest drop off point for the apt is the Princes St stop which is approx 700 metres away. Cost 8.50 pounds for adults and 4.50 pounds for children for a RETURN journey.
2. Airport express bus, every 15 minutes right outside terminal building, drop off point on Waverley Bridge approx 700 metres from apt. Costs 7.50 pounds per person for a RETURN journey.
3. Taxi, many can be found right outside the terminal building and will cost 15 - 20 pounds for a one way journey. However a taxi will drop you off right outside the property you have booked.
Street parking is enforced Mon Sat 08:00 - 18:30, it is expensive and inflexible as you can only stay in one spot for a few hours.
There are many city centre car parks to choose from, you can use these for a short time or full days which cost approx 16 pounds or more or enter the postcode of the property you have booked into this website http://www.parkopedia.co.uk/